Wednesday, January 5, 2011

My brain

I think I am a pretty smart woman. I have a degree, I love to read and learn new things. I am pretty open minded. I google anything I don't know. I am organized-maybe a little too organized (OCD), have a decent memory and functioning brain. I memorize numbers often without trying (like my driver's license number). People ask me questions when they don't know the answer.

I may not be the smartest cookie in the cookie jar but I have always thought that I was at least a step above the crumbs.

However, pregnancy changes all of that for me. Lately I feel like my brain has taken a nap and has left me on my own. First I can't remember ANYTHING! I have to make lists just to remember something the very next day. And then I can't remember where the list is so I end up with 4-5 lists with a lot of things on every list. Next,I start talking and half way through the sentence I can't remember what I was saying. I also repeat myself A LOT since I can't remember if I ever finished my sentence.

Here are a few examples of my foggy brain...

On Monday I took Morgan to the doctor. I remembered that I parked right in front of the building. So when we came out, I went right up to the van and was trying to get in. The key didn't work-which wasn't too alarming because lately the driver's side door was frozen and I would have to go in through another door. So I went around and tried to get in on the other side. No go. At this point I was beginning to panic. I had my sick little girl standing there in the cold and no way to get in the car! Finally I looked a little closer and thought, man those locks look different than I remember. You guessed it! NOT MY CAR! Later when I told Steve he asked me if it was the same year as our mini van (not that I would know that anyway!)I said, I don't even think it was the same model or make! It wasn't even the same color as our van!

I have caught myself putting the salt and pepper shakers in the fridge.

On Sunday I prepared our dinner. A roast with potatoes and carrots. I stuck it in the oven and went off to a planning meeting. About two hours later I came home and Steve said, "Honey, you forgot to turn on the oven. I just turned it on 10 minutes ago." So instead of a nice warm dinner ready in another hour, it was going to be about three more hours until it was ready.

I went to return the movies and pick up a few things at the store. Got half way to the store and realized that I didn't have the movies and that the gift card I was planning to use was at home along with the list of things to get!

While planning our RS meetings for the next 6 months I scheduled a meeting on February 23rd and didn't even remember that it's Morgan's birthday!

So if you see me walking around with drool dripping from my lips and a glazed look in my eye, please don't try to have me committed. It's really just a temporary illness that I like to refer to as 'pregnancy mush brain'. Please tell me that it isn't just me that experiences this!

1 comment:

McCall B. said...

Classic! I wish I could have seen you on Monday, but I heard you were out with a sick little Morgan :( See you soon though.