Thursday, October 20, 2011

Audiologist visit


Yesterday Morgan got to meet with an audiologist-again. This is her second time of failing a hearing test and second time of having follow-up testing with the audiologists. Last year the audiologist said not to worry that he thought her hearing was normal and there was no problems. This year a different audiologist said that Morgan does have borderline hearing loss. She will always fail the hearing tests done at school and that she has probably always had this "congenital loss". The loss is slight though and there really isn't much that needs to be done to accommodate her.

I have to admit that I have been a bit depressed about it. What a hypocrite right? I mean I have worked with people with disabilities for almost 11 years now. I work at an institution where we have the largest population of Deaf students and I know that there are amazing advances in medical conditions and that people with disabilities can still do just about anything that they want to do.

However I just don't want my baby to have any of these challenges. I don't want my own children to face the things I see every day.

I do realize that it could be much worse so I should be grateful-I mean-I am grateful! Just give me a day or two and I will be fine with the whole thing. Probably.

2 comments:

Jenny said...

I know exactly what you mean! I'm always so worried about the girls hearing because of Jacob and his family history. In my mind I know there is so much technology and things that can be done to help, but as a mother, I agree, it's just so hard to see in your precious little girl.

Unknown said...

It’s understandable that you feel that way. No one wishes to have anyone in the family to be in that situation. All the more that you witness how challenging it is. It is hard to accept but I do hope that you will remain strong, hopeful, and faithful that Morgan will do fine whatever life throws at her.

Kelsi Macias