Monday, November 17, 2008

Shhhh don't tell

I have a confession. I am frugal-AKA-thrifty, penny pincher, tight-wad, CHEAP! Honestly I didn't really have much of a choice, this trait was thrust upon me by life. While I was putting myself through college, I was a single parent (not just physically but also financially), worked part time and somehow we made it with grants, scholarships and student loans. WOW-somehow I really went way off base there.

So anyway, I am one of those crazy women who actually love to go shopping on "black Friday". On Thanksgiving morning before Steve heads out to play football I make him get me a newspaper. I pore over the ads, make lists and begin the strategy. I have to basically map out my day and figure out which store takes the number one priority. And then on the big crazy day, I wake up between 3:30-4:30 depending on when the sales I want begin. Often my mom, aunt, and sister go with me, which makes things easier as we can split up and help each other on different sides of the store-kind of like a zone defense. Sometimes I get pushed or bumped by carts, sometimes there are rude people who butt in line or snatch things from right underneath you and sometimes what I most wanted is sold out by the time I get my chance. I often end up with sore feet-but at the end of the day I feel like Santa with a trunk full of gifts. I am going this year-rain or shine or freezing temperatures and I do it because I love to get a great deal. And maybe because of the excitement of the hunt. I would much rather be out shopping the day after Thanksgiving rather than the week before Christmas-that is what I think is crazy!

Anyway, I came across a website that other "money-smart" people might be interested in. www.blackfriday.info - Good luck to all of you that dare to be adventurous enough to wake up early and find a great deal!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Becky...you rock!!! I used to love the black friday deals...such a rush...and I do feel like I've made of like a bandit...or santa...I'm so excited for you...and also love hearing that you're a penny pincher too! Can't wait to hear how it goes!

Janet said...

If I had only known. I have been to black friday for the last three years.
Want the secret?
Walmart price matches so bring your adds and you only have to go to one store. Plus, If you have a 24 hour one, you go at like 3 am, gather up all your price matches and then wait with the other crazies for 6am.
It is GOLDEN BABY

BeckyAndGirls said...

You are so totally awesome, Becky! I just LOVE reading your blog...I find it the only way to keep up on your family.
Good luck!

Sachiko said...

That is awesome, I will check out that site and do my homework before I go shopping on black friday.

Kris said...

I love "Black Friday" shopping too! I always go to my parents for Thanksgiving so we end up going to St. George for our day full of shopping. Lots of people think it's completely insane, but we love it! Sadly, we aren't going this year since we are going to Disneyland in a few weeks. We always buy more than we need so it's better to stay home and save the "extra" money we would have spent! Hope you have tons of fun, don't get too beat up, and get some great deals!