Friday, January 9, 2015

One little mistake

Last Sunday we were planning to go to a baby blessing. We left early enough, all of us were shined and polished in our Sunday best, I plugged the address into gps and we were off. It was supposed to be a 45 minute drive and suddenly when the gps on my phone said, "you have arrived at your destination", we were in the middle of the road and no church was in sight. Steve pulled over and I pulled up the texts with the address. Turns out I had left off one tiny detail (east), so I entered the correct address in and we found out we were about 15 minutes away and sacrament was due to start in only five more minutes. I was so frustrated! We didn't make it in time. I think I apologized a half dozen times to Steve and the kids and even Steve's brother. Fast forward. Several hours later we were having our big group family home evening and Steve was the lesson. In preparation he asked us each to bear our testimonies. When it was Koby's turn he told the story of our failed attempt at the baby blessing earlier in the day. Then he said the most profound thing. Koby said that it is like when we listen to Heavenly Father. We have to pay attention very carefully to his instructions and follow them exactly or we won't end up in the right place. One tiny little thing can make you end up in a place where you don't want to be. Those words hit me so hard and they are so true. We have to constantly be working towards doing the right thing, working towards our Heavenly Father. Recently we were informed that a couple that we love dearly has decided to leave the LDS church. It has been very hard on Steve and I. I don't know all of their reasons but I am saddened by their choice because I know how much guidance and happiness the gospel has brought to my life. Hearing their news makes me want to cling even tighter to my testimony and the things I know to be true because I want "to end up in the right place". I know I don't bear my testimony often enough, but I do hope that I live my life in a way that my actions testify of Jesus Christ every day.

No comments: