Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Thanksgiving surgery

The verdict was in: Morgan's enormous tonsil needed to come out. I decided to do it close to the Thanksgiving holiday so that Morgan wouldn't miss much school and I wouldn't miss too much work. So on the Tuesday before turkey day, Morgan and I got up early and headed to the hospital. She was really excited at first. I had promised that she could stay in her pajamas all day long and her friends (the experienced ones that had already gotten their tonsils removed) said that she could get a grape slushie after surgery. I did forget that you have to put on a hospital gown-but she stayed in her PJ's for the rest of the time. We got to the hospital by 7AM, verified all the paperwork that we had filled out earlier to pre-register and waited and waited. We watched the Disney channel, read Judy Moody and colored.
This is Morgan playing around while we waited.
Around 8:30 they gave Morgan a bit of medicine to help relax her. Boy did she get loopy. She would start drifting off to sleep, then turn and look and me and start giggling.
She kept trying to lay down on the bed rail and at one point, sounding like a drunk she said, "Thssisss is myyyyyyy firssss surgerrrry everrrrrr!" Then she broke into tears and said she was scared. We said another quick prayer and I held her for a little while. Finally she settled down and it was time for the surgery. They took her back about 8:50. I sat and waited...ok I read to keep my mind busy. The surgery took about 40 minutes. The doctor came and said that everything went well and they took out the adenoids too since they were also huge. Finally about 15 minutes later they brought her back to her room. She was so tired!
The cute nurses did this to her bunny while she was out. Morgan thought that was so nice. It took us forever to get her awake so we could go home. Later she asked me who changed her clothes, I told her she did with a little help from me-but she didn't remember that. She recovered very quickly and was eating solids by the day after surgery. Ofcourse that didn't stop her from eating all the "prescribed" foods like Popsicles, pudding, jello, suckers, hard candies, juices and chewing gum. Morgan was quite a trooper and didn't complain or whine too much. She only missed two days of school and is doing very well. The hardest part for her is that she isn't supposed to run, jump, hop around, etc. So one more week of no recesses or PE. Hope she can make it that long!
I am so grateful that the surgery went well, that there is less snoring and hope there will be less sore throats and colds! Love this girl!

No comments: